Books of interest on various subjects including the History and Politics of Eastern Europe:
1. Borderland: A Journey through the history of Ukraine by Anna Reid
- A captivating and informative account of Ukrainian history.
2. Twelve Days: The story of the 1956 Hungarian Revolution by Victor Sebestyen
- A historical telling of the Hungarian 1956 Revolution in opposition to the Soviet Union.
3. Memoir of Hungary by Sandor Marai
- Tells the story of life during the German occupation, WWII, until the rise of communism in 1948. This is not so much a historical account, but rather a memoir of a famous Hungarian novelist.
4. Animal Farm by George Orwell
- A classical satire on communism and its implications.
5. Café Europa by Slavenka Drakulic
- An insightful account of everyday life during and after communism.
6. Ukraine’s Orange Revolution by Andrew Wilson
- A critique of the corrupt Ukrainian government, the 2004 election fraud and its aftermath.
7. The Ukrainians: Unexpected Nation by Andrew Wilson
- An in depth and scholarly account of the rise of the Ukrainian nation.
8. Bury Me Standing: The Gypsies and Their Journey by Isabel Fonseca
- A vivid description of the life, culture, and hardships of the Roma across Eastern Europe.
10. The Gypsies by Jan Yoors
- A memoir of a twelve year old Belgian boy who left home and was accepted into a Gypsy family. Takes place during the 1930s, his account of traveling throughout Europe with a caravan of Gypsies.